Friday, April 15, 2022

Easter Snow

While checking the forecast for this weekend’s Easter Sunday, snow is headed our way. Not a lot but enough that could make local travel hazardous. I’m reminded of another snowy Easter when I was fourteen or fifteen (I can’t remember exactly). That morning I counted our heifers and one was missing. She was due to calf but we didn’t think it was that soon and we allowed the small herd to roam the 20 acres that were pastured.

Besides being a holy day and the Sabbath among Christendom, I thought back to the parable of the missing lamb with the shepherd who was willing to break Sabbath rules in order find that one lost sheep. One heifer plus a calf meant there was money missing and money was tight growing up. One or two animals? It was sometimes all the profit a small farm had for that year.

The snow was heavy, wet, almost a foot deep. It stopped sometime before morning and I was fortunate that winds were calm(ish). No Tracks. She decided to sneak off before the snow ended. That wasn’t a good sign because most often, if a cow was in trouble giving birth, she would be in the worst possible place such as down in the creek where no equipment could easily be brought in.

I looked to the western fence and couldn’t see her. The ground was too wet and muddy underneath this new snow, so I trudged along, guessing that she was about a half mile away in the furthest corner of the pasture in among the trees. Cows hide when giving birth, it’s their nature. Mother and calf, a bull that couldn’t stand yet, were waiting for me.

He was still wet and huddled in the snow, a shivering newborn. Mother finished up what cows do after giving birth and allowed me to approach and pick up the calf. Some cows become defensive but she was calm and serene. She softly “mooed” occasionally as she followed me back to the barn, carrying her prize.

After penning them up, my thought was that I should have brought a sled with me, that calf was heavy.


 Linked to Poets and Storytellers United - Friday Writings 22: Upcycled Words

23 comments:

  1. Your parents must have been thrilled when you got them both back safely! But yeah I imagine you'd be super sore for awhile after carrying the little one home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rommy
      My dad turned it into an object lesson on paying better attention to the cattle. My mom was not thrilled on what was on my coat.
      I was happy that I got the job done without calling for help and that more than made up for any soreness.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tale! Takes me back to the farm days of my childhood and spring when all the baby animals were appearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly. I'm glad this brought back some good memories.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful tale, and reminder of the exigencies of farm life where things are done because they must be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Bev called it a wonderful tale, too. You better believe it!

      Delete
    2. I was taking on more responsibilities of the farm from my dad but then everything changed a short time later.

      Thank you, Rosemary, and to Beverly for thinking so highly of this.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this beautiful tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheong Lee San. It is kind of you to write that

      Delete
  5. Good story that kept my interest throughout. I like the symbolism too. Could almost be a Christmas story as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just giving you all an actual event but you've added a dimension to this that I hadn't thought of. And yes, it would work as a Christmas story.
      Very interesting. Thank you, Colleen

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this story although I would not have enjoyed the experience We spent Easter at the beach...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cressida. I would enjoy the beach as well.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful memory..so many life lessons right there... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Every Easter and every late spring snow is a reminder of this event.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, aren't enough words to describe how much I enjoyed your post. I was semi-raised on a farm, your story brought so many of the memories back. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Helen. I'm glad this brought back memories.

      Delete
  9. I have never experienced the effect of snow. A lovely write-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have all four seasons (sometimes within a week)

      Delete
  10. I thought of James Herriot as I read this. You have a flair for prose

    ReplyDelete

Residue

I see the dust lining the edge of this monitor and remember the cause (mostly) of the dead skin cells that are shed every day. Ah, that scie...