Friday, March 18, 2022

Rainy Day Remembrances

I stepped into the café that late morning and wiped the rain from my work shoes. Dad was in a booth with three other farmers drinking coffee. He was probably on his third pot of the day. No sugar, no cream. He enjoyed his numerous cups of black coffee from 5am until sundown.

“Parts came in,” I said as I pulled up a chair to the booth. I wouldn’t share in their coffee and conversation that took place on these rainy days in the café. When planting season starts, we may not see these guys taking a break for morning coffee for weeks.

“You got the new starter on the tractor, then?” Dad asked. 

“I was hoping you’d give me a hand.”

“Kids,” Dad said to the guys in the booth who nodded and harrumphed in affirmation.

“I had to help you get the old one out,” I said. “I thought I’d help you bolt the new one in.” This wasn’t a job for one person who would have to contort their arms around the frame of that old Allis Chalmers tractor to hold the starter in place, plus getting the first bolt tightened. After that, one person could finish (me) while Dad had another cup of coffee.

“I’ll give it a shot,” I said as I stood to pull back the chair to the group of tables. This allowed the waitress to come by with a fresh pot of coffee for those in the booth.

“No,” he said as he slid his mug for a refill. “Why don’t you help Dale bring his cows in?” Dad framed it as if I had an option. I really didn’t. He lent my labor out to neighbors all the time. “Lent” wasn’t the right word because I never got paid. I think half my jobs baling hay the previous year were for free.

“You can borrow my boots,” Dale said to a chorus of laughter. He wore a size 18 and I could probably put both of my feet into one.

“I’ll grab mine and meet you at your truck.”

At least this would give me another day that I didn’t have to think about her.


Linked at Poets and Storytellers United: Friday Writings #18: Moments of Joy


 

10 comments:

  1. I love your story! You told us at P&SU that it's 'mostly true' – well it reads as real. A fascinating slice of a lifestyle I've not experienced personally but can believe, as well as some interesting hints about the father-son relationship. Then, OMG, that last sentence! Like a blow to the heart: so poignant, and ringing utterly true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad drank a lot of coffee each day and he did lend my brother and I out for labor to neighbors. This was an amalgam of many times he offered us to help others.

      Thanks for liking that last line, we might see where that goes.

      Delete
  2. You, dear sir, are wonderfully wicked when it comes to cliffhangers. I sure hope you won't leave us hanging for long. I love the introductory scene, but I can't wait to learn about her and all the things that make her so unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly. It looks like I'll be expanding these little tales from long ago.

      I'll keep this in mind as a tag line for my next book cover.

      Delete
  3. dEvery small farm town has a spot where the farmers gather for morning coffee when they aren't in the field. I saw one that had a large signing over it that said 'LIARS TABLE" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do, Beverly. I've seen that sign over many tables in small midwest farm towns.
      We had one farmer that everything was better on his farm: most rain, biggest yields, found the most morel mushrooms, and more.

      Delete
  4. Keep on keeping on ~~~ you have a wonderful style / talent ~~~ bringing words and characters to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I really appreciate that, especially now.

      Delete
  5. Love the first instalment.. can't wait!! Following your blog now, so I don't miss out!

    ReplyDelete

Residue

I see the dust lining the edge of this monitor and remember the cause (mostly) of the dead skin cells that are shed every day. Ah, that scie...