Friday, November 26, 2021

Connections

“I found the connection, Bannon,” Junior turned from his computer screen. “I got confirmation from the university that our two victims attended creative writing classes there. Same instructor but not at the same time. A couple of years apart.”

“Instructor’s name?”

“Amy Doestal. Stopped teaching about three years ago. She came out with a best seller soon after quitting.”

“Check your email, kid. Feds just gave us another victim in New Mexico three years ago. Ask the U if that victim took any of her classes.” Bannon headed towards the captain’s office.

#

“Why’d you wait ‘til now?” This didn’t sit well with the captain: satchel contents, Bannon “frozen” and losing the satchel but not to tell him until a couple weeks later?

“Cap’n, I figured you’d think I’m crazy.”

“You got that right.”

“I only had a glimpse of the satchel before they snatched it. It took me a while before I remembered everything and it had to be from a writer of some sort. Junior found that both of our victims attended classes at the U and I bet the New Mexico victim did as well.”

“I should write you up again.”

“What’s that six, seven times?”

“Twenty-two,” the captain laughed the numbers out.

“Huh… Well, if I solve this case, you can suspend me for a couple of weeks. I’ll do some fishing.”

A knock at the door and Junior stepped in. “You were right, Bannon. New Mexico victim took the same classes and overlapped with one of our victims.”

“Junior, I want as much background on Doestal as you can and fast," Bannon ordered, "Also, dig deeper with the university but act like you’re following up about the victims, not her. This should shed some light on ‘perfessor’ Doestal,” Bannon spit the title out. “Publisher?”

“Watts & Company, out of New York,” Junior read from his notes.

“‘Donnie’ at the Feds can help us with that and tell them it’s for security for Doestal’s next novel or something. He owes me.”

“Get moving,” the captain said. “If you need a warrant, I’ll get Judge Baker. He owes me.”

“How?” Bannon asked.

The glare Bannon received told him it was none of his business.

Linked to Poets and Storytellers United: Friday Writings #4: Pain in Ink

Part One: The Dead Need No Words

Part Two: Partners

Part Three: Zen Detective

 


 

13 comments:

  1. I want to read more of this! This is such an intriguing piece of flash fiction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid. I will have another installment next Friday.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. Introducing the disappearing heart is the toughest to come up with a solution. I hope I don't disappoint anyone.

      Delete
  3. I keep on thinking about those hearts... I wonder how Amy dearest removed them. And, of course, why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four more installments on the way and I hope you'll like them.
      Thanks, Magaly

      Delete
  4. Quite intriguing. I need to go back and read what I have missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I hope you like the first three as much as this one. The next four installments will wrap up this case.

      Delete
  5. Oooh... this is moving along so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I hope you'll like the next installments and how this ends.

      Delete
  6. Hmm, they are onto a real hot lead now. And the connections in the force!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, nice! The plot thickens. I'm happy to hear there are more installments on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how the title describes both the connections being made to understand the crime and the human connections that will allow them to close the case. Intriguing bit of writing!

    ReplyDelete

Residue

I see the dust lining the edge of this monitor and remember the cause (mostly) of the dead skin cells that are shed every day. Ah, that scie...