Friday, November 19, 2021

Zen Detective

Detective Bannon and Junior were in the captain’s office after the morning briefing, “What do you two got so far? A week, no leads, no clue on how the hearts were removed, and still no motive.”

“Not much more than that, Cap’n,” Bannon spoke first. “The closest historical cases were murders in the Low Desert where some perv murders for people’s hearts but he hacked the chest open to do it. These are done with something unknown in today’s medicine. I’ve shown the coroner’s reports to docs at the university hospital and they have no clue.”

Junior added, “We haven’t found a connection between the two victims yet. Crime lab reported that each of their computers were wiped clean. DOD wiped clean. No break-ins to their homes but someone could have hacked in remotely or dropped malware on their systems without being physically at their computers.”

“You got nothing.” The captain sighed. “I’ve got the press hounding the chief about a serial killer which means somebody leaked. I know it’s not you, Bannon, you hate the press more than I do.” The captain looked to Junior.

“Not me,” Junior responded to the glare. “The only people outside this department that I’ve contacted has been the Fed and state agencies.”

A knock at the door by someone at the reception desk, “Captain, I have a Brad Berry insisting to speak with you. He’s from Mayor Zimmerman’s office and he won’t go away.”

“I’ll be right there. You two knuckleheads get to work!”

“Brad… Berry…” Those names echoed in Bannon’s head as they left the office. “The book in the satchel… It was Bradbury! Ray Bradbury!”

“Junior, do you know a Ray Bradbury?”

“Sure. Sci-Fi author of Fahrenheit 451, Illustrated Man, Martian Chronicles, and a ton of other short stories. Why?”

Bannon moved on to his next thought, “Zimmerman… Zimm… Zen!”

“Did he write about Zen – something?”

Zen in the Art of Writing. Pretty good summary of his writing process. You thinking of writing a crime book, Bannon? I’m working on a book. It’s about…” Junior’s words began to drift away, Bannon was preoccupied.

“Junior, were either victim writers?”

Part One: The Dead Need No Words

Part Two: Partners

 

Linked to Poets and Storytellers United:  Friday Writings #3: A Different Interpretation


 

24 comments:

  1. I just love it when I'm reading a good mystery, which has me completely grabbed and befuddled, and then I'm given a glimpse of a clue. Keep on bringing it on, sir! The thought of such group maybe losing their hearts is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly. Adding the heart metaphor into the first episode had me a bit befuddled as to how to solve. I hope you like the last episode of this little mystery.

      Delete
  2. Oh-ho! The plot thickens! Panting for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. I hope I don't disappoint you.

      Delete
  3. Writer's losing their hearts? Do go on... I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rommy. Introducing the heart metaphor kind of made it central. Now I have to solve it or rather Det. Bannon.

      Delete
    2. We writers have to be at least as clever as our characters.

      Delete
  4. the hearts of writers... interesting, what kind of stew is this killer cooking? perhaps eating the hearts of writers helps him create imaginative cover stories (?) the plot thickens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phillip. I hope you like how this end up.

      Delete
  5. OK OK, I got official goosebumps!!!!!!! You did that with this installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I didn't realize that my writing could do that. I hope you like the next episode(s) just as well.

      Delete
  6. You're leading us on to the next chapter. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MMT. A few more and the detectives will wrap up this case.

      Delete
  7. I got it in my head that a crazed writer from the future might be killing off noteworthy writers to steal their ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Owl. I hope you like how this ends up in a few more episodes.

      Delete
  8. Are you writing a mystery novel, J Beames? :) I hope you are, not only because these chapters are such an engaging read but because you are good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those very kind words, Khaya. This is my first attempt at a mystery. I'm in the middle of a short novel but this had to come out before I could resume. I hope you like next few episodes.

      Delete
  9. Oh, there appears to be a lead. It's getting interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving it so far... !!! Agree with Khaya, too... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. This is my first mystery/crime story but I'm thinking I may have Det. Bannon return someday in another series.

      Delete
  11. Very intriguing - can't wait to read the next chapter!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. I'm finished in a few more 'chapters' and I hope you'll like the ending.

      Delete
  12. Somebody's killing all the writers. Maybe a frustrated proof reader? We must wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

Residue

I see the dust lining the edge of this monitor and remember the cause (mostly) of the dead skin cells that are shed every day. Ah, that scie...